Sunday, December 6, 2009

Orthography on University posters

Hello there!

First of all, I have to apologise for being so late with this week's post. I also have to apologise because I'm not talking about what I promised. The reason is that I expected our Linguistics Professor to upload last class' powerpoint, and he didn't. So, the ducklings will be ready another week. [Insert sad emoticon here]

Instead of that, this week I'll talk about posters! Posters in the UJI, to be precise.

As I said in another post, I'm kind of a Grammar Nazi. In fact, I should, if I want to be a translator. So I have the obsessive craze of correcting all spelling mistakes I see on posters, notices, signs, even teachers' posts in forums!

I also tend to take the posters where there are the biggest mistakes. You will remember the poster of the MEC grants.



I also found this other poster. It's about the opening of a new music club. The funny thing is that, the class before seeing this, we saw some common spelling mistakes that people make, and among those mistakes there was the misspelling of the word"Inauguración". I bet the designer of the poster wasn't in that class.



Some of my translation collegues and I tend to correct all these posters, as I said. This week we saw an interesting and amusing one. It's the following.



The image is quite disturbing, but that's not the main point of this. On the lower part it says: "¡¡Ahora con un 50% menos de faltas ortográficas!!", which means "Now with 50% less spelling mistakes!!" I find this extremely funny, but I don't really understand why. I like to think that it is a message for us Grammar Nazis, to keep correcting other people. Or maybe it's just on the contrary, and it means "Stop correcting me".

Anyway, I left my mark in another of these posters, correcting the spelling mistakes I saw (50% than usual), and below, where it says "Criticize here" I wrote the following words:



50% are still too many.






P.S. I hope next week I'll be able to write about the ducklings, as I promised!

3 comments:

  1. Oh, hell. Grammar mistakes keep expanding their horizons, now they have even reached university, the place where (supposedly) culture lives.

    Maybe culture has changed address.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some day they will find the guy who steals posters! xD

    I can't wait to see the ducklings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I must confess I am a typographic mistake collector... I have cienes and cienes of them :)
    PS. Free the ducklings now!!

    ReplyDelete