Monday, October 19, 2009

Orthography on the Internet

Hello there!

Today I want to talk about a topic about which everybody who frequently uses Internet concerns or has concerned. It's the phenomenon known in my country as "Hoygan".

Example of Hoygan


I have done an investigation but I haven't found the exact English word for referring to "Hoygans", but thanks to the priceless help of one of my English friends (many thanks, Becca) I have found out that an approximate equivalent of the word in English may be "lamespeaker". For those who doesn't know what a "Hoygan" or "lamespeaker" is, here you have some descriptions:


From Frikipedia (in Spanish): http://www.frikipedia.es/friki/Hoygan

From Urban Dictionary (in English): http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=hoygan

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=lamespeak


A "Hoygan" can be described as someone who has no respect or interest in linguistic correction; someone who speaks as if he had never gone to school (maybe they actually have never gone to school). We call them "Hoygan" in the Internet spanish forums. The origin of the word is a misspelling of "oigan", imperative of "oír" (to listen), which is the word they use to start their terrible posts.

As light exists because there is darkness, on the Internet exists the antithesis of the lamespeakers. These are called "Grammar nazis". Grammar nazis are those users who correct the others in their spelling, grammar or even punctuation. I have to admit that I am a Grammar nazi (at least in Spanish).

Example of Grammar nazi


Grammar nazis think that, because they have a good command of their language, it is their duty to correct every single mistake other users can make. Even the position of the littlest comma of a text. They don't usually try to be annoying, but they become a pain in he neck (or other parts of the body) after a few posts. Generally, they also know all the forumn rules, so if you break one, they are the first to tell the moderators, and of course, to warn the rule breaker about the risk of permanent ban, attaching always a nice link to the forum rules list.

Common signature used by Grammar nazis

Between these opposite extremes (lamespeakers and grammar nazis), there are many other types of forum users, but I won't explain them now.


Talking about lamespeakers is talking about orthography in general. Which reminds me some examples I have found in the recent days in my sorrounding (a.k.a. University). This is quite ironic, since University is supposed to be the highest degree of orthography. Well, you see it's not.

This is a film someone lent to me: It is read "CAMARON DE LA HISLA". I don't think you need to know a lot of Spanish to understand what is wrong.



This example seems just too absurd to be real, but it is real. I took the poster as a proof. In Spanish, an accent (´) is used to mark the stressed syllable. The word 'inglés' (English) is pronounced [in'gles]. The word "ingles" means "groins" and doesn't need an accent. By putting an accent, the writer is emphasizing that the word is read ['ingles], and besides, it is written wrong. That is why it is ironic: someone who arranges trips to English-speaking countries should know how to say 'English' properly.

Click to view the complete Poster: http://i354.photobucket.com/albums/r436/F_Tido/BecasMECnglesCompleto.jpg


Finally, the following link is ONLY for people who know how to speak spanish very well, and feel brave enough to face the worst Hoygan I've ever met. If you aren't, this post ends here for you.

http://www.hl2spain.com/foro/index.php?showtopic=35838
CAUTION: CLICK HERE AT YOUR OWN RISK


Well, that was all for now. If you find that I've written something wrong in this post, tell me.

You can call me lamespeaker if you want, and tell me to stop kicking the dictionary (I usually say that to hoygans).

See you, and Heil Spellcheck!

3 comments:

  1. TENES TOA LA RRASON AY KADA UNO X AI SOLTADO KE NO TENER NI PIJA HIDEA DE HESCRIVIR

    ReplyDelete
  2. HELO TIDO ITS ME JABIER FROM UNIBERSITI DO U REMEMVER ME????????????????

    I'BE SIN DISTRIT 99999 RICENTLY AN I MAST SAI THAT IT YS A BERI GUD FILM!!1!!!11!

    P.S.: I WONT U 2 HELP ME HAK A FRENDS PC

    THANKS OF BEFOREARM!1!!!!!!1111!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hiii i'm kat, your crazy uji friend xD

    I liked so much your postXD I met a lot of nazy grammar ....¬¬ and a lot of hoygans too xD

    I hope you write soon =D

    kisses!!

    ReplyDelete