Monday, May 14, 2012

Dungeons & Chimneys: DM Tricks (or Treats)



Greetings, everyone!

Yesterday I spoke with Minna, my DM when I played D&D in Guildford.

It had been a while since our last conversation and she seemed happy that I was doing ok in my game. I asked about hers but it seems it's been paused for a couple of weeks because of exams and stuff like that. Exams start next week for me, which is something I'm not looking forward to, actually.

Anyway, Minna and I had a pleasant chat about the best and worst things about DMing. We shared some DM tricks — and cheats.

It's great, for example, to have some recurrent enemy. Someone who appears in the story every now and then but always escapes, because either the adventurers can't defeat him or he tricks them and runs away. It's quite useful for the DM as well, if you don't feel like browsing the Monster Manual for new enemies.

Everybody will remember the Necromancer they couldn't defeat, and they will be very pleased to stealth in his stronghold to finally kill him after levelling up.

Another good thing is to role-play the NPCs (Non-Player Characters), which I personally find really fun. I like every important character to have some feature which makes him worth remembering, or at least, recognisable. I want my players to remember someone as soon as they hear their name, even if it's something like "oh, yeah, that bad-tempered guy".

Again, nobody will forget the Necromancer who liked purple and fancied the purple tunic worn by the party's Cleric.

We talked about some other things, but I don't want this text to be very long, so I'll say just one more thing Minna and I agreed.

Level 1 Clerics have way too few spells. End of discussion.

No comments:

Post a Comment